Wednesday, August 22, 2012

THE SPANISH SPEAKING UNDERGROUND HARDCORE SCENE

    Sunday the 19 of August, I was invited to the 7 annual ZONA URBANA, a show put on by the spanish speaking, underground hardcore scene. My best friend, Dirty Arn is the drummer for Ixteris korrosiva, who played second to the last out of 8 bands. They put on an awesome show, and were cheered on by a huge following.
    I have to admit, every time I attend one of these functions, I feel like I've stepped into the twilight zone, in a different country. I mean this in an absolute good way, of course. Its a culture shock experience to say the least. The Spanish speaking scene seem to be much bigger and more active than the local scene here in Austin. At this one event, there must have been close to 500 people in and out, through out the day. The venue, La Rumba on east Riverside probably had the capacity of 500 covers. The sound system was top of the line and I would be more than happy to put on an event there myself. It's an awesome place for live music.
     It seems that this scene of Mexicans, Hondurans, and Guatemalans, save up their energy for months, anticipating the next show, arriving with the entire family, and enjoying every last minute of it. Looking around,  it made me feel proud to see, Mohawks, and liberty spikes of all colors and sizes, spikes, and patches of men and women accompanied by their children.
     If you ever get the opportunity to attend one of these shows,..don't hesitate. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment