Sunday, August 26, 2012

A Corpse Vanishes


One of the things I love about being in our circle of friends, (Austin Live Music Coop), is the spontaneity of a back yard BBQ with a few friends, good food and a humble jam session. My roommate/good friend Candido Santos of Shitty Advice casually organized a’ get together’ that made me realize that Lone Star Beer, fajitas, and a couple of amplifiers are worth their weight in gold.
My chef skills were requested at one point. I was asked to cut the meat, and finish the pico de gallo, which was difficult, because of the lack of ingredients. I managed. I picked chili piquin from the bush, behind the drummer, mid song, and diced some green apples, I found in the kitchen. Before I realized it, I found myself in a culinary meditation,..wielding a knife, mechanically, as I’ve done in kitchens for years. Something made me catch a snap….. It was the music. I’ve heard of A Corpse Vanishes, … heard that they had broken up as a band, but never had the chance to absorb their music, personally. I’m sure they have their reasons for their dissolution, but for the life of me, can’t understand why they would end this incredible orchestra of methodical energy. Jerms,(guitar/vocals) wove intricate rhythms, and strategic twangs on the guitar, while serving up powerful lyrics, intertwined with back ups from Chris (bass) and Ian (drums).  Chris showed a side I’ve never seen before. Being the bassist for shitty advice, Chris meshes in a different element, with Curtis, Candi, and Korn. With A Corpse Vanishes, the bass takes on a lead role to a  powerful, high energy, high speed,  horror-surf punk flavor that stands alone. I’ve asked them to play the Gridlox ‘breakout’ show, BRING IN THE GRIDLOX, at headhunters on October 19th. Their performance would be an epic contribution to everyone attending.
Zig

No comments:

Post a Comment